This is a powerful form of a whizzer that can completely stop an outside single or low leg single in its tracks. With a traditional whizzer, we'll drive our opponent forward and grab our shin. Then we'll put as much pressure on our opponent's shoulder as possible so he can't regain any ground.
This is a high level defense which you'll see used often within scrambles in college and high-school. It's imperative that we know how to use it and that we go for it whenever possible.
Too often do our kids think that grabbing a far side power-half will work against an outside single. The sad fact is that it doesn't do anything to anyone half-decent past the age of ten.
We really wish school programs would stop teaching kids to do this. As responsible wrestling coaches, we must teach technique that work for the entirety of the wrestler's career, not give them a quick fixes. This is why we do not teach headlocks, chin whips, etc. This is also why school pragrams are failing.
In Shin Whizzer (Defense)
- #1: Pull out to the side, near hip down, break grip, kick leg forward, arm drag behind
- #2: Jonesie: foot under chest, circle to ankles, reach behind near leg, kick leg over back, roll through, lock hands
- #3: Reach for Jonesie, grab wrist that's on your leg with back hand, let go of whizzer, kick over head, magic-stick
- #4: Try to Jonesie, kick over back, let whizzer go, funk near ankle
- #5: He lifts leg with near leg up, jump behind leg with knee, cut-back
- #6: He lifts leg with far leg up, ankle pick, lift ankle to navy
- #7: He lifts leg with far leg up, grab far ankle with whizzer hand, forward roll, out the back door (funk)
Shin Whizzer Offense
- #8: Right hip down, circle to head, pull head down, grab cradle
- #9: Grab near ankle, limp arm out, lift ankle, right hand down, shoulder to other side of leg, run to far ankle
Defense After You Lose Whizzer
- #10: Head up, hip pressure, far foot away, spin right, grab far hip, spin to ankle
- #11: He grabs far leg, left arm under roll across back, kick arm over, funk near leg
- #12: Circle your hips over his, throw far leg in, limp arm out
- #13: Cover far ankle, pull to your hands so you have two ankles held, he tries Jonesie, roll through and keep double
- #14: Lift ankle up, roll under ankle like funk